Dining on the Ocean Floor
Video Credit: Nova Scotia Tourism
We’ve finished another great season of Dining on the Ocean Floor!
Interested in our 2018 season? Add your name to the Dining on the Ocean Floor notification list, and be the first to hear about our 2018 dates! Once we know the dates (in January 2018) we will publish the date and time that tickets will go on sale over the phone. Please note that we do not offer gift certificates or any advanced payment or booking for Dining on the Ocean Floor. We try our best to give everyone a fair chance at getting seats.
We do, however, offer gift Flying Apron gift certificates in any denomination up to $300. They may be used toward a world class experience in our Cookery School, Restaurant or Inn. If you can’t give the gift of Dining on the Ocean Floor, maybe you’d like to give the gift of a great Culinary Getaway at The Flying Apron!
Enjoy a culinary experience like no other with a feast on the ocean floor. The meal was described by one guest as a “must do for your bucket list.”
The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery is once again offering our Dining on the Ocean Floor experience. This adventure includes a foraging tour with Jonathan Newell, the “Shore Boil” afternoon meal, a private guided tour of beautiful Burntcoat Head Park, an intimate 3-course meal in the ocean floor dining room, beverage pairings from Avondale Sky Winery and Meander River Farm & Brewery, and a sunset campfire on the ocean floor.
Your culinary adventure takes place at Burntcoat Head Park – the site of the world’s highest recorded tides. In 2014 the Bay of Fundy was declared one of the Seven Natural Wonders of North America.
Arrive at Burntcoat Head and take a deep breath of fresh, salty air. It’s time to put on your rubber boots and grab your camera as your adventure begins. You will be greeted by your Flying Apron host and introduced to foraging expert Jonathan Newell from Newell’s Jewels Edibles for a foraging tour of the natural edibles that grow within the park.
The Shore Boil is a bowl brimming with the freshest Nova Scotia seafood cooked in white wine from Avondale Sky. Sample local craft beer from Meander River Farm & Brewery and local wine from Avondale Sky Winery as you enjoy your seafood feast atop the red rock cliffs. Avondale Sky’s Tidal Bay is award winning (Best in Class and Double Gold) and the perfect accompaniment for Nova Scotia lobster and seafood.
Next it’s time for your private tour of beautiful Burntcoat Head Park, home of the World’s Highest Recorded Tides with your knowledgeable tour guide. Your tour begins in the park with a walk down the stone stairs to the ocean floor to see fossils, tidal pool creatures and to see first-hand the impact of the powerful tides on the coastline. During the tour the tide will ebb to its lowest point and begin rising again.
Your tour guide will bring you to the ocean floor dining room at the end of your tour for a delicious 3-course meal. Looking up at the high tide marks on the flower pot island and the high cliffs, you will be awed knowing that the area will be covered in 50 feet of water at high tide in less than 6 hours. Chef Velden and his team have been busy preparing some of the finest and freshest Nova Scotia foods for you to enjoy overlooking the incoming tide.
Your dinner begins with the first course Celebration Plate, a selection of fine Nova Scotia cheeses and charcuterie hand-made by Chef Velden, served with Flying Apron pickles and artisanal crackers. Next the second course High Tide, Low Tide features a beautiful cut of local, pasture-raised beef, butter poached Nova Scotia lobster tail and succotash with organic vegetables, topped with foraged greens.
Enjoy beer and wine pairings with each course from Meander River and Avondale Sky. Be sure to try the Surf & Turf Scotch Ale, made with peated malt and seaweed. This beer was created for Dining on the Ocean Floor and won Silver in the Experimental category at the Atlantic Canadian Beer Awards in 2015.
As the sun begins to set over Cape Blomidon in the distance, the final course is served. Sun & Moon Meet features fresh local berries, lavender phyllo and Grand Marnier mascarpone cream. Enjoy a cup of organic fair-trade tea or coffee or sample a dessert wine from Avondale Sky as you enjoy dessert.
Take your beverage with you as you head over to the campfire on the tidal flats. Enjoy the rest of the sunset from your spot around fire. Finally, it’s time to cross the ocean floor one last time and to say good night.
2017 Experience Dates
Wednesday, July 5 (2:45-8:30 pm) SOLD OUT
Friday, July 21 (3:00-8:45 pm) SOLD OUT
Friday, August 4 (2:30-8:15 pm) SOLD OUT
Saturday, August 19 (2:30-8:00 pm) SOLD OUT
Friday, September 1 (1:30-7:15 pm) SOLD OUT
Saturday, September 30 (12:45-6:30 pm) SOLD OUT
2017 Experience Costs
$675/per couple +HST & Gratuity or $350/per person +HST & Gratuity
- During the experience you will walk over moderately difficult terrain, including up and down a large flight of stairs and over rocks. Assistance is available, however you should be prepared for walking and climbing.
- Please bring rubber boots or other waterproof footwear suitable for walking on uneven ground and over muddy terrain.
- The weather can change quickly on the shore so please be prepared with: a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen, a windbreaker and warm layers to put on as needed. Don’t forget a camera or cell phone to capture the amazing scenery.
- We will provide: water, headlamps and the ingredients for an amazing experience.
The 2017 price for the Dining on the Ocean Floor experience is $675+HST/couple. $350+HST/person. Preregistration and confirmation with a credit card is required. Limited accommodation packages are available through The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery. We require a minimum of 10 guests to run each experience and the maximum is 20 people.
Cancellation Policy: Due to the popularity of the experience, we require notification at least 21 days prior to the event. We will charge the credit card on file the full cost of the experience (price, plus HST & Gratuity) 3 weeks before the event. Refunds are not available after the charges are processed.
Weather Policy: We will closely watch the weather forecasts in advance of the event and will be in touch with all registered guests. If we experience light rain/drizzle the tours will take place as scheduled, however the dining portions of the event will take place within the Burntcoat Head Lighthouse. In the event of severe weather, the event will be cancelled. If we must cancel due to weather, there is no charge to event guests.
Award Winning Partners
The Flying Apron Inn & Cookery www.flyingaproncookery.ca
- Taste of Nova Scotia 2015 Prestige Award for Best Restaurant: Chef Inspired Casual Dining
- Eastlink Magazine’s Nova Scotia’s Best: Best Inn 2015
Avondale Sky Winery www.avondalesky.com
- Atlantic Canadian Wine Awards – Medaled 9 Times including:
- 2015/2016 Winery of the Year – Atlantic Canadian Wine Awards
- Winner for Best Red Wine – Atlantic Canadian Wine Awards
- Best in Class and Double Gold Medal for Tidal Bay in 2016 – All Canadian Wine Championships
Meander River Farm & Brewery www.meanderriverfarm.ca
- Atlantic Canadian Beer Awards 2015 Experimental Beers Silver Award for the Surf & Turf Scotch Ale, created specifically for the Dining on the Ocean Floor experience and made with peated malt and seaweed.
Just Us! Coffee Roasters Co-op www.justuscoffee.com
- The Just Us! Co-op set out in 1995 to become Canada’s first Fair Trade coffee roaster. Just Us! has been the recipient of many awards over the past 21 years including awards for their business practices, growth, and coffee, tea and chocolate products.
Bay of Fundy www.bayoffundytourism.com
- In 2014 the Bay of Fundy was declared one of the Seven Natural Wonders of North America, along with the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, the Everglades, Niagara Falls and the giant redwoods of California found in Sequoia National Park and Redwoods National Park.